John Kennedy Transport was founded by John Kennedy in 1927. It began with a single lorry converted for multi-purpose use to transport people as well as general goods around the Island. Over the years, the business expanded from providing school transport to include small lorries.
Following the passing of John Kennedy in 1971, his daughter Nancy MacKechnie took over the business.
The most significant change to John Kennedy Transport came in 1992 when CalMac introduced roll-on/roll-off ferries on its services to Tiree. It led to the business ceasing goods haulage and ending its use of lorries.
Although we have always provided public transport in the form of a Community Bus, in 2004 we were contracted by Argyll and Bute Council to operate the full-time Ring’n’Ride public service bus on Tiree.
As visitors and events on the island have increased over the years, so has the demand for Private Hires and Island Tours, as well as for the Ring’n’Ride service. As a result, Nancy’s son, Angus John, became a partner in the family firm in 2017 to follow in the footsteps of his Grandfather and Mother and continue providing passenger transport on the Island of Tiree.